All tables in the ELN have a similar format and functionalities. The tables have been redesigned for the 20.10.3 release of openBIS.
Here we give an overview of the main functionalities of the tables.
Two filter options are available form the Filters button: Filter Per Column and Global Filter. The first allows to filter on individual columns, or multiple columns, whereas the second filters terms across the entire table using the AND or OR operator.
It is possible to sort individual columns or also multiple columns. For multi-column sorting, you should click on the column header and press the Cmd keyboard key. The order of sorting is shown by a number in each column, as shown below.
Tables can be exported in different ways, using the export button shown below.
- Import Compatible:
- Yes: in this case some columns which are incompatible with imports (i.e. registration date, registrator, modification date, modifier) are not exported even if selected; some columns that are required by openBIS for imports are added to the exported file even if not selected (i.e. code, identifier, $ column). Moreover text fields are exported in HTML, to keep the formatting upon import.
- No: in this case all columns or selected columns are exported.
- All (default order). All columns are exported, in accordance with the selection explained above for import compatibility.
- Selected (shown order). Selected columns are exported, in accordance with the selection explained above for import compatibility.
- All Pages. All pages of the table are exported.
- Current Page. Only the currently visible page of the table is exported.
- Selected Rows. Only selected rows in the table are exported.
- Plain Text. Text fields are exported in plain text, without any formatting. This option is not available if the export is import-compatible.
- Rich Text. Text fields are exported in HTML format.
Tables are exported to XLS format. Exported tables can be used for updates via the XLS Batch Update Objects.
Users can select which properties to display in the table clicking on the Columns button. It is also possible to show all properties or hide all properties. The position of the columns can also be changed by placing the cursor next to the = sign in the list and moving the fields. This information is stored in the database for each user.
If a table contains Objects which have a spreadsheet field which is filled in, a spreadsheet icon is displayed in the table. Upon clicking on the icon, the content of the spreadsheet can be expanded.
If a table contains Objects which have long text fields, only the beginning of the text is shown and can be expanded. If the text contains a picture or a table, an icon is shown in the table and the content of the text becomes visible by clicking on the icon.
Selection of entries in table
Single entries in a table can be selected using the checkbox in the row. By clicking the checkbox in the table header, all entries of the table are selected. After selection of entries, some actions become available:
- Delete: allows to move the selected entries to the trashcan.
- Move: allows to move the selected entries to a different Collection/Experiment.
- Generate barcodes: allows to generate custom barcodes for the selected entries.
- Update custom barcodes: allows to update existing custom barcodes of the selected entries.
- Clear selection: allows to clear the selection made.
In Object tables inside Experiments/Collections there is an Operations column, which allow users to perform certain tasks on an Object:
- Upload a file to the Object
- Move the Object to another Experiment/Collection.
- Update Barcode.
- Open the hierarchy graph. This is the graph showing parent/child connections of the Object.
- Open the hierarchy table. This is the table showing parent/child connections of the Object.