It is possible to register several samples at once via file upload. Two methods are currently available:
- Batch registration via Excel template file (XLS Batch Register Objects)
- Batch registration via TSV template file (Batch Register Objects)
Batch registration via Excel template file
To register several entries of the same type with an Excel file:
- Navigate to the relevant collection (e.g. Samples).
- Select XLS Batch Register Objects from the More drop-down menu (see figure above)
- Download the template file and fill in the relevant information. (Example file: SAMPLE-COLLECTION-REGISTRATION-SAMPLE-STORAGE_POSITION-template)
- Upload the file.
Register storage positions and samples in the same XLS file
A sample and its storage position can be registered together, as shown in the template provided above:
- The info in the $ column of the sample spreadsheet should match the Parents column in Storage Positions spreadsheet. In the $ column you can enter numbers or names.
Batch registration via TSV template file
- Select Batch Register Objects from the More drop-down menu
- Select the Object type (E.g. Sample or Storage)
- Download the template file and fill in the relevant information
- Upload the file
Rules to follow to fill in the template .tsv file
- Identifiers are given by /SPACE/PROJECT/OBJECT_CODE, e.g /MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT/INS1. Users can provide their own identifiers, or these can be automatically generated by openBIS.
- To have identifiers automatically generated by openBIS, completely remove the identifier column from the file.
- Lists. In fields that have lists to choose from (called Controlled Vocabularies), the code of the term needs to be entered. Term codes can be seen under Utilities -> Vocabulary Browser.
- Parents. Use the following syntax to enter parents: identifier1, identifier2, identifier3.
- Parents annotations. Use the following syntax to annotate parents: identifier:xxx;COMMENTS:xxxx\identifier:yyy;COMMENTS:yyyy. Where COMMENTS is the property used for the annotation in this case (to be replaced with the actual property used).
Advantages of XLS batch registration vs the old batch registration
- XLS batch registration uses labels instead of codes in the column headers in the template file.
- Fields which are Controlled Vocabularies can use labels instead of codes.
- The template can be used as it is, and no modifications are necessary by removing the identifier column, as it was in case of the old batch registration.
- Upload of samples and storage positions can now be performed using single template file.
The old batch register mode is being maintained for backward compatibility and will be phased out.