Collections are folders used to organise Objects in the Materials Inventory. Such Objects can be samples, materials, equipment, patients, etc.
Collections need to be organised in two folders.
For example, if we want to create a collection of lab instruments, we need to adopt the following steps:
- Create an Object type called Instrument. This can only be done by an Instance admin, from the admin interface, as explained here: New Entity Type Registration
- Create a first folder called Equipment
- Create a second folder called Lab instruments
To create the first folder:
- Click on the Materials folder
- Click the + New Project button in the form.
- Provide a description of the collection, if wanted. This is not mandatory.
- Enter the Code. This will be the name of the folder. Codes only take alphanumeric characters and no spaces. (e.g. Equipment).
To register the second folder, inside the first:
- Click on the first folder, in this case Equipment.
- Click the + New button in the main form.
- Replace the automatically generated Code with something pertinent to the collection (e.g LAB_INSTRUMENTS)
- Fill in the Name field (e.g. Lab instruments). By default, the main menu shows the name. If the name is not provided, the code is shown.
- Select the Default Object type from the list of available types. This is the Object for which the Collection is used. In this case, Instrument.